Women in Engineering
In 1983, the Women in Engineering Program (WEP), was initiated with a gift from GTE Corporation. The mission of WEP is to reach and inspire college women to pursue their potential in engineering and technical careers, while supporting them throughout the process. The goal of WEP is to educate women about engineering fields and to help them purse an engineering degree.
WEP is a support program that provides academic and non-academic assistance for women to help them realize their potential as students and as engineering and technical professionals. To this end, WEP hosts activities and provides resources that offer student learning, networking, and service opportunities related to professional development issues both before and after graduation.
Upon acceptance to the College of Engineering, all female students are automatically enrolled in the program and are allowed to participate in all WEP activities and have access to all WEP resources.
Activities and Resources Offered through WEP:
- Resume Writing Workshops are held in conjunction with the College of Engineering Career and Student Development Center
- Graduate School Information Sessions
- Women in Engineering Meet and Greet Sessions provide female engineering students with the opportunity to network with other female engineering faculty and professionals.
- The Student Collegiate Section of the Society of Women Engineers (SWE) UMass Amherst Chapter offers social and academic support as well as community service and career development opportunities and the opportunity to attend the SWE national and regional conferences upon completion of conference applications.
- The Microsoft Center for Women in Engineering and Science provides a space for engineering students to study and develop an academic community. This space is also utilized by the Women in Engineering Program and the Society of Women Engineers (SWE) for organizational meetings and other activities.
- Professional Development seminars throughout the year
- Industry Tours
- Social Activities
- Diversity Programs Engineering Speakers Series